- MyRegent Portal
- Regent Apps & Mail
- Faculty & Staff Mail
- Faculty & Staff Resources
Ask a Librarian: Research Assistance / Reference
Q. What is the current job outlook in your professional field of interest? What are the current professional trends/influences in your chosen field?
- The Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) provides info on the job outlook for 329 occupational profiles. In order to find an occupation, browse the occupation groups on the left-hand side of the homepage, or use the A–Z Index if you know the specific occupation.
You may search for occupations by using the selector drop-down menus on the OOH homepage. Select by projected number of new jobs, or projected growth rate. If you know the specific occupation you are interested in, you may enter a job title into the “Search Handbook” box on the top right-hand side of the homepage.
- Career Outlook, published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, features articles about some occupations that are not covered in the OOH. Career Outlook includes the ”You’re a what?” series, which highlights unusual occupations and includes interviews with workers.
- Virginia Labor Market Information or substitute the state in which you want to know outlook.
- O*NET OnLine also gives info on outlook.
- Try a Google search to see if there is a national association for your chosen occupation.
- For peer reviewed sources try a Summon search. Create a search string using keywords,
("chosen field jobs" OR " a synonym to chosen field jobs")
Use the tools on the left side of the results page to limit your results to 'peer-reviewed'